Sunday, January 11, 2009

Madeira welcomes 2009

Let me tell you now: I'm not a big fan of Christmas. But one thing is for sure, I love New Year's eve and fireworks. So I guess you can say that I grew up in the right place.

Madeira usually manages to amaze you on the 31st of December. Even during this year of recession it had a show of fireworks that lasted almost 10 minutes.

To celebrate Funchal's city status (500 years in 2008) some fireworks spots were added to the city center.Did I mention that in Madeira you can buy your own fireworks and have some fun with it before midnight? Our group tried to so, all except me doing it for the first time. It wasn't bad, we didn't burn the house down but let's just say that once I saw a firecracker explode centimetres away from my neighbors window, I didn't want to play anymore. Next time I'll do it with my cousin like when we were kids.Hmm, wait... I'll do it in a safer way but mostly like when we were kids.

No comments: