Monday, January 19, 2009

Thailand: packing for year

As requested here is (clothes aside) what I'm taking to Thailand. This was prepared thinking that I will live at least a year in a tropical country, next to a lake and a jungle. Also I will be leaving the country at least every 3 months to renovate my visa.



It's hard to plan for a whole year but clothes wise you take less than for a holiday because you'll be washing it or buying local products that are even cheaper in Asia. It's the rest that takes up space.


In case the photo isn't very clear, here is a list:

  • 1 Nikon D40 + waterproof Crumpler bag + 1 extra batery + 1 usb cable + 4 giga memory card + battery charger.
  • 1 tripod - this tripod was bought thinking that I will walk around with a backpack so it's the most pratical and not absurdly expensive I could find.
  • 1 DEET impregnated mosquito net (it is a malarial area).
  • 1 Lafuma sleeping bag - in the school I'll have a bed however for the traveling around, staying with couchsurfers, or hostels a sleeping bag is very useful. In Russia I slept on a sleeping bag for the duration of my stay. Also I'm prepared for a guest. This is the lightest sleeping bag there is, ideal for the heat of Asia and for carrying around.
  • 1 waterproof Thailand map - a nice xmas present.
  • 1 basic first aid kit - Mostly for cuts, bruises and twisted wrist or ankle.
  • 1 swimming suit - Eat your heart out.
  • 2 pairs of flip-flops + 1 pair of trekking sandals - one for walking, one for the bathroom, one for walking around the house.
  • 1 microfiber towel - it's super absorbent, ideal for backpackers. I've had this one for more than a year, even took it to India. Once in Thailand I'll get a local one and use this one exclusevely for traveling.
  • 40$ - Forty Dollars - In case of emergency or in need of paying a bribe, dollars are always handy.
  • 1 pencil case holder - I always need a pen plus I'll be a teacher now.
  • 2 mosquito repelents - one with DEET, one natural.
  • 1 padlock - I can strap my suitcase to the bus/train, I can lock it in the hotel etc
  • 1 waterproof document/paper holder. Does rain season ring a bell?
  • 1 passport case - after seeing my passport bend strangely in Russia I bought this little hardcase.
  • 1 raincover for my backpack
  • 1 pocket knife
  • 3 compression sacks - I'll have a lot more space in my suitcase and bag, especially good for dirty laundry.
  • 1 secret pocket for money and documents.
  • 3 pacsafe locks, 1 with combination
  • 10 envelopes
  • 4 copies of my passport - to be spread around my stuff and myself.
  • 1 toiletry eagle creek bag - with a mirror and that I can hang up anywhere.
  • 1 blues harp - I sooo need to practice.
  • 5 notebooks
  • 1 little bag/wallet
  • 1 hat (with UV protection, I didn't even know it existed).
  • 1 Astérix agenda
  • 1 old laptop - the screen doesnt even stand up for itself. Good for pictures, teacher stuff as tests and activity sheets, for my music, for watching a film when I'm bored and to go to the Internet.
  • 1 north face backpack - it will glued to me all times since it will have my documents, money, camera etc
  • 1 cheap Nokia phone that will have a Thai SIM card + charger
  • 1 dynamo flashlight - it doesn't need batteries nor electricity, you just wind it up.
  • Others: lots of pens/pencils, some teacher stuff such as activities books/sheets, a deck of cards, trekking biscuits (with high energy level for when my stomach cramps up or when I'm trekking), some books, my little personal pharmacy (stomach, flu stuff), vitamins (I'll be living a vegetarian lifestyle)
  • Clothes: I haven't prepared this part yet but I have a general idea:
  • 2 pairs of light trousers, one becomes a pair of shorts
  • 2 pairs of shorts
  • 1 pair of sport shoes
  • 12 t-shirts, some are super light and absorb sweat
  • 16 pairs of underwear and socks
  • 1 pair of sunglasses
  • 1 jacket for the evenings
  • 1 waterproof jacket
  • 2 skirts


And before you ask, no, I am not rich (I wish! - I'd travel a lot more!), some of these things like the backpack, clothes etc I had already since I do move around quite a bit. Stuff like the mosquito net I bought for my trip to India (also the same vaccines) and the rest I bought thinking of Thailand. I worked for the last two years thinking I should save for travelling. It also helps that Asia is a cheaper continent than Europe (for the most part). The most expensive thing will be having to leave the country every 3 months, with new visas, airline tickets, a hostel if I can't find someone to host me, buying my own food as opposed to eating at the school etc


I'm not complaining, I chose to do volunteer work but have a look at the "help out section", I don't just ask for money but also goods, as well as a place to stay while traveling, a meal etc I'm also prepared to work for that money, if you're hosting me I can cook and clean, if you're in another country I can be useful via email. Just have a look. Even a shout-out if you're in the area (or not) is included in the help out section. You can also donate books or buy waffels to help the library I'm setting up for the Baan Unrak school.


Have you travelled in the area? Tips are welcome!
Have you travelled extensively in a certain area or country? Again, tips are welcome.
Any comments or questions: email or comment.

No comments: