Saturday, February 7, 2009

Settling in in Thailand: strange fruit

Thanks to my laptop's sissiness I havent been able to post a lot of pictures, I hope that from now on all will be ok. I'm sort of settled. My room has a carpenter in it but hopefully by today it is all done. In the house there is a Mexican, an English, an American and a Thai woman. Today or tomorrow there is another American coming, at the end of the month the only male volunteer of the group will arrive as well.

Here are some pictures of Bangkok's biggest temple, the Golden Temple:

The temples usually consist of several buildings, including a house of prayer, a cantine, quarters for the monks, and of course, lot of Budha statues. So walking around actually is tiring. The monks are not supposed to talk to women or even touch them so if you want to hand in something you give it to someone else or you put it down where they can pick it up. So don't ask for directions to monks nor sit next to them in a bus if you're a woman.

So far I have tried a few fruits I didn't know. There is one that looks like a brown grape but then the peel is hard like a nut. The inside is white and sort of remind me of licorice, ie I hated it. But I've found two that I'm in love with:

This called a rose apple, because it looks like a rose.

And it tastes like an apple. Actually it tastes like one of those apples that dont have much taste but are very very juicy, it's great to kill your thirst.

This one here is my personal favorite so far, it's called something like a mangoose.

You break it open and eat the white stuff. It's absolutely delicious. I've eaten more than a kilo already.Sorry guys but eat your heart out. I went swimming yesterday and that lake behind me is actually my backyard. I just need to go down some steps to jump in the water. Hard life...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

tas linda na foto!
um beijo

AA