Monday, February 16, 2009

Volunteer game

As volunteers we are told even before we leave to lower our expectations. Even as tourists you should do the same. Actually if you want the same, stay at home.

Surprisingly enough I do pretty well in that game. I imagined Sangkla to be super poor and miserable, with mind boggling boredom and half naked children with their ribs showing. Of course i'm thrilled it's nothing ot the sort.

Despite that the volunteers here (from my ngo, Baan Unrak and others) have developted a sort of sadistic game. We compare our lack of confort and conditions.

- I have 5 dogs barking all the time, day and night.
- Oh yeah? I live with eleven dogs.

- I have a huge lizzard in my room, I named him Steve.
- I had fleas. I killed them for a week.

- You have net on your windows, what a luxury.
- You have internet in your room.

- You're free most afternoons.
- I have to deal with teenagers.

Those are just some examples, I think you get the point.

Now I am preparing my classes for tomorrow, I hope to go to the lake today. Yes, I know it's cold in Europe...

No comments: