Saturday, March 28, 2009

Hanoi, Vietnam - random notes

Pictures will come soon, the computer I am using is sort of falling apart.

On my first day I went to eat on a street stall, in general Vietnamese eat outside. They like to bring some chairs or benches and sit on the pavement eating, apparently it's because the houses are hot. Like most of Asia I ate rice for breakfast. I was full after a few bites...

People seem very nice and open, they smile and laugh a lot. Maybe Thailand is too used to tourists.

Some Vietnamese took my picture, this also happened in Thailand, my white face is going to be all over the world...

The center is fairly old fashioned but in a nice way. People still wear traditional customs, something Thailand no longer has in the capital. Hanoi seems to be less Westernized than Bangkok, it really gives you a feeling of "ah, yes, I am in Vietnam".

My phone doesn't work here, I had to buy a Vietnamese card. It was 3e.

Vietnam is more expensive than Thailand but certain things like camera bags are a bargain here.

Traffic is less than Bangkok and Delhi but still insane. Crossing the road requires your full attention. One Vietnamese guy told me to think of myself as a rock and the traffic as water in a river that flows around the rock. I took one motorbike taxi during rush hour and actually closed my eyes twice. It was so packed that my leg touched other bikes.

The first pagoda I visited had as many Vietnamese tourists as Westerns, a good sign for me.

It's very hard to explain but even though I am a minority and I stand out as soon as I step out of my room, so far I really feel at ease, safe and ok in Asia (well except in India). Maybe that feeling will go away during the rain season. It is a strange feeling even for me, I don't understand the languages, I have problems understanding the reasons behind certain things yet I love it.

I'll try another computer tomorrow so you can have a glimpse of Hanoi.

No comments: