Thursday, March 5, 2009

Motorbike riding in Thailand

It's a pretty exhilarating, I mean, full speed ahead with no helmet? Riding something that can kill you in a nasty way with no helmet? Pretty insane.

Also I now ride like the local girls, side saddle. Yep. Not even holding on properly, sometimes holding on to two or three bags instead of holding on for dear life.

The other day the power was out because of an incoming storm and I got to ride in total darkeness - except for the bike's headlight - side saddle and with lightning above in the sky. Betcha you never did that!

My most recent experience with a motorbike taxi was having the driver fart all the way down the hill. You know, for speed...

3 comments:

Gonçalo Viana said...

WOOOOOOOOW,

that's awesome!!! I should know I just did something similar recently! Around Chiang Mae, and going to the Doi Suthep :)))
(ok, not side saddle style though)

One year teaching in Thailand now that's got be quite an experience!!! Congratulations on you're initiative and will to do carry on that!

I just got back from Thailand (last Sunday), after being there for one month (if you fell like it, drop by http://ginthelandofsmiles.blogspot.com)
Loved Thailand, and Laos!

But after reading your post, and about you teaching English in Thailand for a year, beautiful!
I just feel like doing the same!

Safe journey for you,

hope everything goes well

if there's anything I can help you with just say it!

all the best
Gonçalo Viana

ps: beautiful pics and storys!!!

Anonymous said...

As the older one, I should probably scold you.
But 'cause I probably would have done the same, so I won't... this time.


The safer one.

Gonçalo Viana said...

sorry about the all the spelling mistakes... jet leg still kicking in... :p

Gonçalo Viana