Saturday, May 23, 2009

Gaming in Thailand (and Asia, I suppose)


Back home anyone who plays videogames for more than just occasional fun is considered a geek (I've recently found out "geek" means something completely different in Thai but more of that some other time), if by chance the person plays videogames let's say, everyday then they are a serious geek, a nerd.

I am curious to try this one, you beat the drums at a certain rhythm.

Like the whole karaoke thing I've mentioned before gaming is a non-issue. It's like Asians (again, this is just a general thing, I'm not saying all countries of one continent behave the same) pick up all the stuff we are embarrassed about and decided to have fun with it.


No matter what time of the day in the thousands of game houses, net places, shopping centers, hidden corners under escalators you'll find Thais of all ages playing a game. Even supermarkets have a little gaming corner.

Mostly it is boys, yes but there are more than enough girls. They just play different games. Boys tend to go to the shooting, racing, fighting ones and of course, guitar hero (I can tell you first hand, those speakers are LOUD). Women and older men play matching images games, suduko, puzzles etc, girls play less violent action games, sport etc


And if you're good enough you'll get a little or bigger crowd. Usually little kids are always included. It is a LOT cheaper than Europe (more or less 2e for enough time to reach the final level while in Europe now the starting price is usually 2e). I am proud to say that I attracted a small crowd while shooting zombies. I've even heard that in Korea some people make a living out of playing videogames, sadly I'm not that good.

No comments: