Sunday, October 12, 2008

Lithuania

I went twice to Lithuania but sadly I havent managed yet to go to the Hill of Crosses. I spent four days in Vilnius and three in Kaunas, they're both nice towns but not really comparable.

Vilmius has something like forty (40!) churches and they're all diferent and nice, there are also little chapels, or idols all over. I was a bit worried all this religion would make this town serious but the night life, despite all the snow, was very active.

What Vilnius has in churches Kaunas has in statues. The town was also full of artists paiting in the streets, tons of shops and student activities. It also home to one of my favorite museums: the Devil museum, a must see.

An hour or so out of Vilnius is the Gruttaspark, the park a millionaire created with all the old Soviet statues, it's an incredible trip to the past and it is very eye opening and you see that in that huge park, full of statues, busts and paintings there is only a small percentage of what used to be in the country during the Soviet occupation. Should you decide to go and I highly recomend it, tripple check the buses, I almost spent the night in the middle of nowhere...

No comments: