Friday, January 30, 2009

London: good food day

I know that I'm 27 and that I should appreciate other things such as the historic importance of London, breathe in the places that inspired so many... however all I can say is that it was a lovely (albeit very cold as you can see from the picture above) sunny day and I ate wonderfully.

Details from Hyde Park and the Albert Hall Memorial.



I know London has a bad reputation for food, that you have to go to foreign restaurants but I think people have been going to the wrong places. In the UK you don't go to a restaurant to have a typical British meal, you go to a pub - a dark, with an ugly carpet, with dark wood furniture one - and you have, for example, a steak pie, shepperd's pie (my favorite), sausage and mash and any dessert with custard. I absolutely love custard. So today for lunch we had a jacket potato in a little stall in Convent Garden (the old market), that's basically a baked potato with topping of your choice and later in the afternoon I had a delicious shepperd's pie and an apple pie with custard. And that was it, I was happy.

Details from Trafalgar Square.



Oh, yes, I bought more books. I tried to resist but the 2666 is 32e in Brussels and here it was 18e...

Tomorrow evening I'll load up the pictures into the posts, so be sure to return to these posts to have a look.

I'll leave you with a bit from The savage detectives:
"I've been cordially invited to join the visceral realists. I accepted, of course. There was no initiation ceremony. It was better that way. (...) I'm not really sure what visceral realism is. I'm seventeen years old, my name is Juan Garcia Madero, and I'm in my first semester in law school. I wanted to study literature, not law, but my uncle insisted, and in the end I gave in. I'm an orphan, and someday I'll be a lawyer. That's what I told my aunt and uncle, and then I shut myself in my room and cried all night. Or anyway for a long time."P.3

No comments: