Thursday, January 29, 2009

Moving and reaching London

For those of you who don't know, I'm currently in London. The fact that I made it here after carrying furniture, books (too many), cds (way too many) and dvds (also too many) from 18h until midnight with - 4 is a true miracle.

It was a sort of Portuguese moving system. We didn't want to pay a moving company so we carried everything ourselves, we yelled a lot of instructions to each other, we ignored a lot of instructions until one bookshelf almost landed on my foot, we stopped to eat for about an hour and after moving some more stuff we were hungry again. What wasn't Portuguese was the weather. Imagine carrying stuff down 3 floors and then reaching the street where it was -4 and cross a busy intersection with your sofa. Or cd shelf. Or playstation. Then you go up 3 floors again and continue. We then proceeded to Leuven where most of my stuff will be kept. Yes, that's right, we had to unpack again and carry again. We went to bed exausted and took a train at 10 am to London.

So far London has not disappointed me but it has not amazed me yet either. I mean, expected facts list:



  1. It's raining.
  2. I bought books already.
  3. Lots of badly dressed people.
  4. Things are expensive.
  5. The tube is fast, efficient and claustrophobic depending on the hour.

Things I didn't expect:

  1. Eurostar's security system and border control.
  2. That the cheese would be so heavy here.
  3. That I would have a bad meal in Chinatown.
  4. Vinagar, salt and melted cheese in top of French fries.
  5. Even expecting high prices I was surprised.

Tomorrow I will go to a museum, a park and eat a pie and a dessert with custard in a pub, just not sure which ones yet. Now I will take a shower and read one of my new books in bed, it's called The savage detectives by Roberto Bolano and the first four pages were very promissing.

No comments: