Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Bangkok: first impressions

I know most of you are still sleeping or have just gotten to work by the time this is published, that is one of the issues I am facing now that I live here. It's weird that my body thinks it's time to go to bed while my clock says it's time to go and eat. It's also annoying that when I have time and energy to chat my friends are asleep. I suppose we'll find a time that suits us all.

Last night there was a strange bird/insect outside my window making noise. Actually it sounded like a bloody party. Apart from that I slept ok.

I went outside after breakfast and just walked around. I was a bit reluctant at first, mostly because I am so tired and sleepy but also because I was worried Bangkok was going to be like Delhi. I couldn't have been more wrong. (yay)

The internet connection is very slow in general, the trick apparently is to go to a videogame store and ask the local geek for the internet.

Bangkok is a huge city but it is nice, the traffic is immense but they respect traffic lights, pedestrians and just normal sanity. You just have to be pacient as it takes hours to get anywhere.

The streets are clean, the men don't stare and I just walked around mostly ignored by locals. It was perfect. Of course it's about 30 degrees and the city's huge. The food stalls around the street and corners look absolutely delicious and clean. I remember that in Delhi most things looked greasy or very fried. A few minutes ago I bought some sweet corn for 20BHT and I was a happy bunny. I could just live off corn. I think it's a sign I'm going to be ok in this country, I can buy corn and fruit at any time of the day. Nham!

So far this is what I picked up from the local culture:

  • The king is sacred, no jokes, insults or making fun is allowed. Punishable by law. While that seems simple, it implies as well that you can't step on a coin or bill as it means you are stepping on the king's face.
  • The head is sacred, feet are dirty. So you can't touch someone's head, you can sit with your feet pointing at someone or at a Budha statue. Just sit with your feet to the side if you are on the floor. Sitting on a chair is easy. However it means no feet up on the table or bag.
  • You are not supposed to greet people with your left hand or eat with it. Left hand is well, the toilet one. Even washed it's the dirty hand sort of speak. This is a rule in Asia, Middle East, parts of Africa...
  • Thais believe in spirits and the spirit world. It is customary to build a spirit house whenever a new building or house is built, this will honor the spirits that lived in the area before. Usually it has the best spot of the place and the richness of it varies, it depends on the building. Like a shopping center is expected to build a good one etc

No comments: