Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Bangkok: your questions

I've noticed that some of you are more curious than others. Don't be shy, by all means... Keep sending those emails. So with some pictures (I finally found a pc with a usb!) here are some answers.

I am still in Bangkok but the school is in Sankglaburi, outside Bangkok. I am going to the school tomorrow. I agreed with the school to stay here a couple of days to recover and well, sleep. I'm very curious to see life outside the capital. Bangkok is a huge city, it makes Lisbon seem small. It's a mix of a town, you have tons of modern buildings, office towers and a shopping center here and there and then in between several Buddhist temples and local appartment buildings, those are usually only 2/3 stories high. There is also a river and traffic is so bad that the boat is faster. Traffic is immense but not chaotic, it's just rush hour all the time. The only shopping center I visited is the MBK center and it's huge, seven floors and tons of corridors. It took me 30m to find a toilet (2BTH) and then another 15m to find the exit. Speaking of that, you know how you usually have an entrance and an exit door in shopping centers? well, they take it very seriously here. You're not allowed to leave through the entrance door and vice versa. Let's just say there is a security man that no longer likes me in the MBK center.
This is the king. I cant spell his name properly yet so never mind. Usually his image is inside or outside offical buildings or there is just a banner saying something like 'Long live his magesty'. Thais are very tolerant and usually ignore farangs(foreigners)'s stupid behaviour however regarding the king, Buddhist temples and things like that are usually not forgiven.

So be respectful is the rule. You wouldnt believe the clothes I saw some farangs use in temples, two even tried to sit on Budha... Some of you were very surprised with the feet issue, Thailand is not the only country by all means. Most of Asia and Middle East have the same cultural/social rule. Since Thailand is 95% Buddhist the country sort of had Buddhist rules in their society. For example the bow, the feet, the head being sacred, respect for all live and well, mostly non violence. There is an Islamic minority in the South and that isnt going very well but every country has its torn... The bow is very tricky, somehow they know their social place just by looking at the person and so the hands are higher or lower. I have no fucking clue so I only do it if someone does it first and I try to do it lower than them. Bangkok is very safe. Or at least feels like it. I walk alone all the time and so far I've been ignored, which is what you want when you're discovering a city. I only see other tourists when around the shopping area or business area. Of course the Golden Temple is full of them but more on that tomorrow.
Only the traffic gives me a sensation of a work life or busy feeling. Otherwise, everyone is so calm and nice that I feel very relaxed, even though it's a big city. of course I'm so jet lagged that I get tired sooner than usual.

Here are two examples of spirit houses. These are big ones as they belong to a shopping center and an office tower. I dont know yet but it seems anyone can honor the spirits. You see people lighting incense, some pray as well, others leave flowers or food. Most bow when passing it. Local tiny ones will be shown on the blog soon, sizewise they are like big bird houses.
This was on the bathroom door. I think they mean "use of sanitary hose', the little tube Asia uses to clean up. Basically, this means there was once a person that decided to play with it and got people wet. I like that idea.
I cut the people on purpose, it was the third time I went to the same car and he was already looking funny at me. I did say I could live off corn, right? I think the guy now knows. I havent been to a restaurant yet, I just browse these street carts, some streets have dozens of them. You can just pick up some fried fish on a stick in one, fresh fruit in another, then grilled chicken or pork on a stick, boiled corn or veggetables... The bigger carts include plastic benches and you can just sit and enjoy your meal. The food is absolutely delicious.

Tomorrow morning I am taking the bus to my school. It will take me all day so maybe I will only post Friday. To my Portuguese readers, the new travel chronicle should arrive Saturday.

2 comments:

Sofia said...

You've driven a bus? For a whole day? Metaphor?

babsy! said...

no, schmuck. I'm TAKING the bus the whole day...