Thursday, February 19, 2009

humid notes

Time is relative, I know. However after living (only) 2 weeks in Thailand I am pretty sure time runs differently in Asia than it does in Europe. All the volunteers I've talked too agree, time flies by here. Every morning when I get to work and I see the date I wonder where did the time go. Actually about every two days a volunteer will say outloud, "what do you mean it's friday, yesterday was sunday!"

Before arriving I was warned about stray dogs in Asia, I shoud've been more prepared. There are so many, it's worse than rabbits really. I'm very happy I got rid of my childhood fear of dogs because around my house alone there are around 11 dogs. Thais are not very fond of dogs. Most dogs get beat up, some poisoned, a lucky few are taken care of but all starve. It's impressive to see so many with ribs showing but I was warned that if I feed them the landlord will poison them as he doesnt want them around. Two days ago the lady yelled at me because I was petting one. She wants to bring her truck, catch them and put them out in a field kms away. I told it was not in my karma to help kill dogs. Even in a Budist country, where karma is more than understood, I received an icy look as a response. sigh.

Some of you complained I havent posted as often, it's true. But it's so hot and sooooo humid that going anywhere near a computer means enjoying a sauna effect, sweating buckets in front of strangers. As much as I enjoy the internet, I do have a limited set of clothes. What I miss the most is listening to music all the time, after 15m my laptop is so hot that I worry it might burst. It is slowly abandoning me. First the wireless died, now the battery no longer charges.

Saturday there is a volunteer day in another village, the ngo is building villages for locals and for refugees that are always arriving. The idea is to help plaster the final house, barbecue, jump in the river and hang out. We've been invited to stay over but I'll see the conditions before I decide, call me a sissy all you like.

Regarding my classes, there was no need to panic because of my public apology. I'm not getting killed by some skimpy teenagers. I have so far put 4 kids outside my class. One for the rest of the hour, three until they came to their senses. However I have also played with the first graders in the playground. I stopped talking or rather trying to talk to a Thai teacher with little English and went to chase the girls out of the playground house. The teachers in the office came to the window to see what all the screaming was about. I also taught two 5 year old twins how to really put out their tongues to their teacher (who was passing), it was one of my great moments.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I want pictures! ;-)