Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Perfume Pagoda

Outside of Hanoi there is a complex of over 100 temples and pagodas, that is called the Perfume Pagoda.Even though it was full of sellars (a big culture shock is the way they attract your attention, anything but throwing things at you is allowed. I got yelled at, screamed at, clapped at, grabbed, smiled even "ihuuued" at..) and even though we didn't have as much time in the temples as I wanted I really like it. It makes me really hopefull for the countryside I'm about to see.


In order to get into the complex we have to take a boat. It was actually a long boat ride and the seats were not very comfortable. It was still worth it.



A part I really didn't like was the stairs. We basically went up a mountain on huge badly formed steps. Actually compared to Thailand, Vietnam is the country of stairs. My hotel room is on the 5th floor, the restaurants are always on the 2nd or 3rd and of course the temples and pagodas have to have more than a thousand steps. Way to test the pilgrims...

No comments: