Thursday, April 16, 2009

Angkor Wat temples during Khmer New Year


I should really create a tag in this blog called "learn from my mistakes" or "think before you go". In it I could include going to a tropical country in its hottest month and drinking beer for breakfast with a Cambodian family.

The black things behind the fruits are fried spiders, the brown things in the front are fried crickets. A local delicacy...

I always wanted to visit Angkor Wat, ever since I was a kid. I don't remember the first time I saw some images or heard about it but I remember thinking it was the most exquisite (I had a very advanced vocabulary for my age) thing on Earth and that I had to see it before I died. And here I am. I've told myself several times I was really here but only after my second day in the temples did I believe it.Thanks to the Khmer New Year (3 day holiday, now it's the year of the Mouse not 2010. Celebrations include throwing water/water fight as water cleanses your sins) the temples are full of people. From all over Cambodia people come to celebrate the New Year, to pray and to make offerings to the monks. So even though the temples are from the 9th - 13th century they are very much still a place of worship. And of drinking apparently.


I was sitting on the floor resting from the 40 degree heat when a local family invited me to join them, I gave them some of my corn and they gave me beer. We talked for more than one hour. They were very curious about the size of Westerners' noses. It was the first time I thought about the topic.

I had snake and crocodile for the first time. Not bad but don't think I'll repeat the experience.

If you come to Angkor Wat (I vividly recommend it) take at least 3 days and try to see temples that are closer together as some are 20km from the city center. Take an extra battery for your camera. Make the sacrifice of waking up early, the temples open at 5am and not only are they emptier then as it's actually cooler. At 7am I was already sweating but it was nothing compared to the sweat at 10am...
Does anyone know the name of this tree? I love it!


Photos of big temples tomorrow, it takes me about 30m to upload 5 photos so by the end of it I'm hungry and well, annoyed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Caramba pá, aquelas coisas com as etiquetas com os bonecos da comida são espetaculares. sei lá, parece uma cena para putos.. mesmo giro. E olha, come-se cru? Como é que comeste? E experimentaste as aranhas ou os grilos? Posso roubar a foto do mercado, não posso? E podias dizer-me o nome da coisa amarela dentro de uns sacos? Que inveja, que inveja, que inveja... fogo... a continuares assim tenho de ir ao tinóni ver do meu cotovelo. Que má.. Só coisas giras.
Beijinhis
Ana