Thursday, April 9, 2009

Small detail I neglected to mention

In all my days in Vietnam I've seen many pirated CDs, DVDs and even books, it's quite common in Asia but Vietnam seems to overdo it. I've heard Cambodia is worse, I'll let you know.

My only problem with this is that I've been trying to buy a book by a Vietnamese-American called Catfish and Mandala and I can't find a non-photocopied version. Even in normal bookstores they sell photocopies. Same, same? (expression used in part of SouthEast Asia to say it's the same or almost the same, they can't say it only once...)

In case you don't know, I've built up the tradition of buying a book of a local author in every country I visit. It doesn't mean it's a strict rule, by the time I visited the UK I had already read most British classics but I do try to get a book from a native in a language I can read, usually it's English. I couldn't do it in Estonia and Slovakia and Vietnam is making me run for it.

1 comment:

Anessa said...

Same Same ! Lol
Everything seems to be all right..
Good luck ;)