Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Belgian balloons

Despite what the blog might indicate I've been keeping myself busy during these forced holidays. I have a new passport, paid my taxes, organized a hen party and Friday I am attending a wedding and acting as official DJ. All this in a country full of chocolates, beer and comics. It's been hard, I tell you...The best part so far - apart from seeing my friends and eating like a homeless in a free buffet - was attaching balloons to a bicycle and crossing a town at full speed. Have you ever heard the sound of 10 balloons rustling against the wind? Let's just say that a lot of people turned their heads, winced (to make sure their eyes weren't playing tricks on them) and then gave me a huge smile. Naturally it was a windy day.

Another fun bit was going on the train with said balloons. It was an old train so I couldn't fit in with the balloons and sit down, I had to stand between to carriages right in front of the door. Which is perfect if you want even more people to see you, one guy even missed his step while giggling at me. A friend of a friend went to pick me up and asked me how she would recognize me. 'I have balloons, you can't miss me.' And there I was, backpack with wine and snacks, phone in one hand, balloons in another, she knew exactly who I was. As did half the town.

For those planning to do something similar make sure the balloons' string isn't too long otherwise you'll hit passing cars and little kids. On that order.

No comments: