Monday, September 14, 2009

Thai and Burmese portraits pt II

Some of you asked for comments or details of the portraits but it's difficult to explain each moment. I'll give it my best. This beautiful little girl was probably my biggest challenge, it was the first time she went to school and she was very shy. I noticed her straight away, I mean, just look at that face!She didn't know what I was doing with the camera and only after 15 minutes did she look at me long enough to take her picture. I tried to show her afterwards (usually the kids' favorite bit) but she ran away...

Yep, there are two of them. I had been taking photos of one twin for the last minutes when he brought his brother along, I was a bit confused for the first few seconds. This little girl seems to share the moment with me.
After a big water balloon fight most tshirts needed to be rinced. This time having the camera on me saved me a bit. This boy will be breaking hearts soon enough, he's too cute.

The two official translators of their class. One translates from Thai to Burmese, the other to Karen (one of the Burmese tribes) , a third one translates to Mon (another tribe). It was a bit insane to hear five languages in one single class: Jesse said it in English and Thai, then the kids repeated it to their classmates in Burmese, Mon and Karen... it was the longest bingo game I ever played.

The talcum powder question has been popping up in my email a lot, basically they use talcum power after taking a shower, also during the day to help with the heat. The Burmese also have another power, a yellow one, that they put on when it's really hot. If I'm not mistaken this kindergarden item we see in the photo had never seen his face on a screen before, he stared at it with such awe...

One of my easiest subjects, I asked if I could take his photo and was offered this great look and then several poses (more photos to come over the next few days).

Some are just too cool...

While others just can't help but to appear on film.

For some reason the boys were always more eager and easy to photograph, most girls refused . The boys were actually fighting to be the first, several times I had to give them numbers in order to calm them down. This little girl just queued with the boys and calmly waited her turn. I told her she was beautiful but I didn't know how to say in Thai 'you have amazing eyes'.

This baby was so much smaller than his classmates I didnt see him at first. He pulled my tshirt and got in pose mode.

Queue to the photographer, it was not planned but they didnt let me leave the room until every single one of them had at least two photos. I had so much fun!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hard NOT to fall in love with ALL of them.


The older (and much jealous) one.